Saturday, April 09, 2005


Holy Week in Rome was amazing, as I got to attend all of the celebrations (except Good Friday, when I had some flu thing). Holy Thursday had an unexpected surprise when, after Mass, I learned of the tradition of visiting the tabernacles in the churches of Rome (to hold vigil with Christ as he agonized in the Garden of Gethsemane). Every church was open and, for the most part, dark-- except for the tabernacle area. Not only was the centrality of the Eucharist in the faith illuminated, but so also was the true and powerful image of Christ being "light in the darkness."

On Easter, I saw the the glory of Christ's passion AND resurrection, the glory of the universal Church, and the glory of the Catholic faith when six people from six continents were baptized and confirmed. As they received their first Eucharist, so was I in full communion with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home