Saturday, April 09, 2005


As I entered into St. Peter's Basilica in the cold of midnight on my 24th birthday, the warmth of his new life emanated through the parted curtain door. "Don't cry for me, but celebrate as you would your birthday," he spoke as I passed his regal body, "I celebrate with you today new life!" The crimson-robed martyr, the man who gave his entire life for his Love, rested before me. His cross he held lightly in his hand. The choir began to chant the Salve Regina. "Behold, the man," I thought. But, somehow-- and especially today-- he seemed like so much more than that.

Here is a man of the Eucharist, a man of Mary, a man of prayer, a man of the scriptures, a holy man. Here is a man who truly lived the faith. And truly living the faith is a difficult living. We all know it is so difficult. But, he did it. He showed humanity that it is possible and that our faith is living. He gave us hope and so much more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home