Wednesday, July 21, 2010

This is What I Learned (Day 4 of 20)

Both of my graduate classes this summer have been talking about the collaboration of the lay faithful and priests, and the identities and roles of both. Hence my posting previously on "Christifideles Laici" (found here). There's a lot of things which both you and I should be doing in the Church today.

But there's also a lot of things that we shouldn't be doing. For example, acting as priests when we're not priests (or, on the flip side of the coin: acting as laity when we're not laity). To understand this better, my professor, Father Frederick Miller-- whose reputation continues to grow in leaps and bounds-- recommended that we read a sermon of the soon-to-be-beatified Cardinal John Henry Newman: "The Gainsaying of Koreh." (read it here).

If you have ten minutes, do check it out. It will give you a mental workout, but it is worth it if you take the effort to follow his argument. It's really quite brilliant and, by the end, you'll find yourself leaning back in your chair, looking up at the ceiling, and going "Wow!"

Well, at least, that's what I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home